Thursday, February 25, 2016

Finisher's Let Down

Somebody help me. I don't know why but often when I finish knitting a project, I feel let down. I look at my FO and think "meh."

I start off all keen and excited. I'm usually on fire during the knitting. When I get home in the evening I can't wait to get to work on my project. But it's not until I put the final touches on my project and step back and look at it that I get that ole let down.

I think, it's nice. I think I did a good job. But it's usually not what I envisioned.

Are my expectations too high? Am I disappointed to find that I am only human and it doesn't look perfect? I wish I could just enjoy my FO. Instead I usually just accept the feeling, stuff the thing in a bag or at the back of the closet and try to forget about it.

The let down doesn't always happen. Occasionally I make a project I love form beginning to end, but that seems to be the exception. Not the rule.

Well, here it is, my finished dragon, let down and all.

 

I think it's nice. Just not special. And it was a whole lot of work. I must say, I did have fun making it. Maybe I just miss the process?

 

1 comment:

  1. I can relate. By the time a project is completed, all I see are the tweaks I wish I had made or the details that didn't turn out quite like I had hoped. By the time I'm weaving in ends, I usually don't care if the next step is a soak in wool wash or straight into the trash can. But then -- THEN!! -- comes a new cast-on and all the possibilities and excitement that go along with it.

    After a recent flurry of finishing, I'm in a lull right now. Have exactly ONE project on the needles (besides the purse knitting and the travel project -- those don't count). Next project has been picked out for a week and supplies are on my desk, but I haven't cast on yet. Multiple reasons, not the least of which is that my wrists are beat from a tsunami of work. I'm just rolling with it. That spark will come again and it'll grow into a roaring fire, and I'll cast on a bunch of things and love some, others not so much, and things will wind down until the flame gets fanned again. Ebb and flow. Circle of life. It's all good, including the times when it seems slightly less than good.

    Super cool dragon. I love the purple pipe cleaner claws.

    ReplyDelete