Sunday, May 17, 2009

Day Dreaming of Lilacs

In the deepest dark of January I started knitting this floral shawl in a lovely shade of fuzzy purple that reminded me of lilacs. It was a cozy project, the fuzzy yarn warmed my lap through the blustery weather but as spring returned I realized I would have to get the project done before it was too warm to work on it. And now, in bright spring sun, with the scent of lilacs in the air, I have finished the project.

The Dayflower Daydream by Eugen Beugler was a deceptively big project. I used almost five hanks of my mystery yarn, of which I had six. There is over one hank of yarn in the border alone. I thought it would be a quick dash to the finish, once the main body of the shawl was done, but that border was like crossing a desert. Every time I thought I must be getting close to done, I would assess and find that I'd hardly moved at all. It took me two full weeks to knit the border alone.

But wasn't it worth it? I think this shawl pattern is just perfect. There's not a thing you could take away or add to it. I love a design where all the pieces fit perfectly together.

This shawl is over 5 feet in diameter. The brushed acrylic yarn let me use a large needle (5mm). The result is a full-sized blanket that is lofty and light. Ravelry details.

10 comments:

  1. It looks very beautiful

    Your notes on how long and how much yarn it took makes me feel better about the edging I'm knitting on the Aeolian Shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! You whipped that one up fast! I am sure your boxer will enjoy curling up on that one! ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:40 pm

    So pretty! I love the color, and the circular shape and the way the motifs flow together. I have a couple of circular shawl/lap blankets in my "someday-I-want-to-knit-this" list - one might have to get bumped higher on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the most gorgeous color! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom2Schnauzers6:37 am

    You did a great job on this! LOVE the border...totally worth it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lilacs in my garden are peaking today and I couldn't agree more that that beautiful piece is perfectly evokative of lilac season. Congrats on a lovely FO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your phrase about crossing a desert! The shawl is beautiful, a real cuddler. --syl

    ReplyDelete
  9. The shawl is lovely. As are your Lilacs. Ours are not in flower yet, so I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete