Sunday, June 26, 2011

Much to Learn

One of the things I'm enjoying so much about spinning is the challenge it presents to me. There's so much to learn. To help with that, I bought a couple of Judith McKenzie videos at Interweave's Hurt Book sale.

I just got them transferred to my iPad today. I had a technology fail when I was trying to figure out how to get them on the iPad. It took a week for it to finally occur to me that I could add the videos to my iTunes video library and then sync the iPad to download them. Duh. Too simple perhaps?

I like what I've seen so far of Judith's videos, and I'm sure I'll learn a lot, but I have one criticism. Like a lot of experts, Judith tends to gloss over the very simple steps that are a bewilderment to the newbie. For example, she's using a Lendrum in the video and she mentions that you can wrap the yarn around the guide to slow down the uptake when spinning lace. Now I knew about the slowdown trick, but I couldn't see in the video where she hooked the yarn and I have the exact same wheel. I would have really liked to have seen that!

Anyway, here's a parade of yarns coming off my wheel these days:

The first two are two-ply and the last, dark one is a three ply. I'm sorry I forgot to take a picture of the fiber. I don't have the technical expertise to supply more details about my spinning than that I'm afraid.  So much to learn!!

4 comments:

  1. You have really progressed with your spinning! I am curious as to how you got the videos with our postal strike. I have noticed that my yarn acquisition has slowed considerably since the mail stopped. Overall that is probably a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous. I am also new to spinning (on a Lendrum, yea!), and my yarn still looks like "novelty" yarn. Although I was told by the master spinner who taught me, that the more experience you gain, you can never recreate the thick and thin yarns that you naturally create while a newbie even if you wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Judith's videa "Spinning Luxury Fibers" and it's great. Also recently bought Margaret Stove's "Spinning for Lace". Instead of spinning Merino from the lock, I am going to use my superfine Cormo fleece :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There really is such a kick to jumping into a new endeavour and learning all about it isn't there? Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete