Thursday, November 09, 2006

I'm too Good for my Yarn!

I made my husband laugh with this one. Let's see if you find it as funny or just think I'm nuts.

I've been doing a lot of knitting for other folks lately. The last big thing I finished for myself was my Fleece Artist Jacket. Since then I've finished the felted clogs (though not felted), two scarves, four garter stitch dish cloths, and a pair of socks for Luke. (Could this be sung to the tune of "The Twelve Days of Christmas"?) On the needles, I've been working hard on my Dad's vest, I'm about two inches from the end, and I've almost finished one of the socks for Alex.

Yesterday, I had a bit of a realization that I don't show enough commitment to taking care of myself. I've been going to the gym faithfully and one pair of pants was getting comfortably loose. So what did I do? Skip going to the gym the next day. WTF? Then, I found a book that thrilled my soul. It is a diary filled with excellent quotes and the paintings of Susan Seddon Boulet. I nearly didn't buy it. But I did.

Skywatcher

I felt restless after this and really wanted to knit something that was for me. I went poking through my stash and found some lovely yarn in there. Some of it called to me, but I actually grabbed the Dale of Norway with the idea that I could knit Jim a hat. I realized what I was doing and dropped the man yarn like a hot potato. Here's what is really calling to me:


The yarn on the left was an impulse E-Bay Purchase. It is a lovely heathered fingering weight from Times Remembered that is smooth and soft. I still can't figure what I will make from it. Lace gloves? Cabled socks? A small shawl? The yarn on the right is Lavold Angora that is so soft, with just a slight halo. I can't decide if it should be a lacey scarf, or a floppy hat.

These yarns are so luscious, I have to find the perfect pattern for them. And it just won't do to have the finished object be anything less than my best work because I will be the one wearing it. If I knit socks for someone else, and I make a little boo boo, I can rationalize it away, because muggles can't tell the difference. Or if I knit something up, just for the fun of it, and it doesn't fit me, I just stash it away for Christmas knowing that it will fit some one who will likely be grateful to receive it.

So maybe it's not that I'm too good for my yarn, but that my yarn is too good for me. Either way, something has got to give. I'm making a pledge here and now that after the socks and the vest the next project should be for me. Cause I'm worth it.

Any ideas what I should make with just a couple of skiens of luscious yarn?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:36 pm

    For one thing, I am so very happy for you for getting that engagement calendar, it's beautiful, and you'll enjoy it, well, for at least a year (I know, much longer). A shawl/scarf?
    I understand that thing about going to the stash for something to make for oneself and 'forgetting',picking up some other yarn thinking....Oh, I'll make so and so some _____ out of this.... one of these days, I'll knit something for 'me' also. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing wrong with just hanging a skein of yarn around one's neck and petting it. Not that I'd know... or anything...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:35 am

    Wrapping a wonderful skein around your neck may work but try knitting it into Jane Crowfoot's Vintage Seed-Stitch Scarf or her Delicate Lacy Scarf first (both are in her book Two-Stitch Knits).
    Blogless in Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenifer's comment makes me want to dive into my stash to see what I could wear. :) If that's not what you want to do though, I thought of the lace gloves from Gathering of Lace.

    ReplyDelete