Monday, June 25, 2007

Yarn, Socks, and a Festival

I had fun with that hat!! Man, oh, man. It was all I could do not to cast on another one. I've got plans to make myself a winter set based on a pink theme to match my handspun scarf. Here's the yarns I've put together for it:

There's Mission Falls for the hat, and Apple Laine and Koigu for the mittens. I'm thinking I'll pick a Selbuvotter pattern for the mittens and carry the design up to the hat. I'm aiming for something that co-ordinates.

But I was good and I finished a project instead.

I'm pretty pleased with these socks actually. There are many little tricks in them to make them fit and look nice. I put little gussets around the heels to make the short row heel fit better. I knit the cuffs to be the same length as the foot (kudos to Mary Jane, Monday night knit buddy and travel journalist for Scotland). Then I knit one row in white before starting the ribbing at the top so that the contrasting color isn't obvious in the purls. Finally, I used double knitting in the last two rows to make my sewn tubular bind off more even (thanks Claudia). The only difficulty was that I ran out of the white and had to skimp on one cuff.



I just received a message from Ted who now has a blog up for FiberFest North. I'm anticipating that it should be a really good shindig and I have every intention of being there. Anyone else thinking of it?

6 comments:

  1. I love the socks - they look great. I really like that trick about knitting a row in the contrasting color before you start the ribbing - neat! Why is it a good thing for the cuffs to be as long as the foot? Or is it just personal preference? I'm very curious! =) Your yarn collection looks good. You'll be happily knitting away for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, Laurie. See you at the end of September.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking socks! I am hearing so much about Selbuvotter - must have a better look at the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those socks!

    I can't wait to see what you make from Selbuvotter. What a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those socks! And thanks for the tip on knitting a row when changing color on ribbing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those socks look really comfy. Love the color combo you used too. :D

    ReplyDelete