Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Manufacturing a Time Crunch

I've got a talent for putting a time crunch on what should be a laid-back hobby. Jim and I will be going to FiberFest North at the end of September, and I've decided I should have the pieces of the Halcyon Aran done by then. While I think I'm pretty good at finishing my garments, I'm sure there's lots more I can learn, and I think this will be just the group to help me out.

So I've got one more repeat to go on the back and then it's cast off and start the front. But suddenly I feel a whine coming on. The wool is rough, the cables hurt my hands. Wah! I want soft wool, with pretty colors. So I said, "Poor baby, of course you do." and I cast on a hat. Pbbbblllt! It's my hobby and I'll knit what I want to. But I predict that the hat will quickly be abandoned when I'm feeling more rested.

There was a promise of another shawl.

This was mostly knit last summer as my vacation project, and I've managed to finish it up somehow. Here's the blocking shot:

Yarn: Knit Picks Shimmer, in color Morning Mist 1.7 skiens
Needles: 3mm
Pattern: Super Spiral Shawl from Gathering of Lace

It's a light and pretty scarf on me, though it might be a shawl on a smaller woman. I really like the way the variegated yarn swirls around. It gives the piece a lot of energy. I think this was a good marriage of yarn and pattern. But honestly, it was a lot of effort for very little end product.

Maybe it wants to be a Christmas present.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, that is gorgeous! Somehow, that never made much of an impression on me from the book- but your version, well. the impression has been made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shawl looks like a time warp. You can easily get lost in those swirl. Really interesting. You'll catch a lot of peoples eyes with that for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the swirls, too. Very beautiful work, as usual! I can't wait to use my Shimmer in a circular shawl project I've got in mind...especially after seeing your end results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- you transformed a rather blah pattern into a stunning shawl. I love the swirls! Mesmerizing.

    So, how big *is* it? --syl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whao - that is -- stunning! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it! To walk behind someone wearing it could be hypnotizing - a pied piperess thing....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is so pretty! I love the way circular shawls look more than any other kind, and this one's great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this shawl is STUNNING. I have nothing but awe for anyone who can do lacework - I can't chew gum and garter stitch without screwing up!

    ReplyDelete