Sunday, September 09, 2007

That'll Do

I'm not a perfectionist. I just don't have the stamina to deal with the stress that comes from striving for perfection. If you are, I admire you and respect the results you can achieve. But for myself, I stick with the good enough standard.

For example, when it came to grafting both ends of the Frost Flowers and Leaves Shawl together, I started to fuss and futz with trying to get the yarn to follow the template I'd lain down for myself. What you do, is knit a bit of the lace pattern, I did it in blue cotton, then knit the row you will be trying to graft in an other contrasting color, in my case, some white acrylic. So when I went to graft, it should have been a simple matter of following the path of the white acrylic through the both the blue cotton and the actual shawl yarn.

It sounds so simple, but I found it to be confusing and frustrating. I decided that good enough was good enough for me. With a project this big, no one but a master knitter would be looking for the graft line to see if was done perfectly. So based on what I already knew about kitchener stitch, and with the help of my white life line of acrylic, I just fudged the grafting.

I think that'll do.

Of course you came for the blocking shots. I don't blame you, but I hope you won't be disappointed. I'm not very good at blocking lace. I'm satisfied, but I don't think I did nearly as nice a job as I've seen some people do. To make excuses, I'm not using the best tools. I threaded the whole shawl around with blue cotton before giving it a good soak in Euculan.

Then I pinned it out on the bed. It completely covers the top of my Queen sized bed. My kids and husband were totally impressed.

I think that'll do.
Yes, that'll do just fine.

18 comments:

  1. god it's GORGEOUS! The color is stunning and shows off the stitches beautifully. Congrats! This is wonderful!

    --Shelob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, I think that'll do quite fine. Totally yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:37 pm

    Wow, it looks great! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie, I'm impressed.
    That's Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it looks like perfection to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh - it's just lovely and it's just perfect as far as I can see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your "good enough" looks might fine to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:09 pm

    Wow, I was looking forward to the completed shawl pictures!
    Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right, nobody but yourself will know where you fudged. They are not going to examine it pattern in hand. It's very impressive and you can be mighty proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heck yeah, that'll do! It is breathtaking!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Breathtakingly gorgeous! Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd say that will more than do ! Just stunning and such a beautiful red . Congratulations !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:11 am

    Yeah. That will definitely do. Perfectionism is overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:49 am

    Most definitely "good enough" - that is jaw droppingly breathtaking! Besides isn't perfectionism just a perpetual state of discontent generated by an unattainable ideal? In practical terms, we must always settle for "good enough".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy. Crap. !

    What amazing work! And in such a beautiful color, too...

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's gorgeous! Good for you on the non-perfection thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a "good enough" person, too, especially when it comes to difficult grafts that aren't all that obvious.

    The shawl looks lovely -- could you do a model shot next? --syl

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's gorgeous! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete