Sunday, October 22, 2006

Free Scarf Patterns

Tired of the same old garter-stitch scarf? Give this simple variation a try!

Bias Scarf
With desired needles and yarn, cast on your required stitches. ( I know that's vague, but come on, only you know what yarn you're using, and only you know how wide this scarf should be. So either guess, or swatch, but figure it out for yourself!) The scarf in the pictures was knit with Paton's Kiss on 6mm needles, and I cast on 30 sts.

Knit 1 row.

Row 1: Slip the first stitch purlways. K2tog. Knit to last stitch, M1, K1.
Row 2: Slip the first stitch purlways. Knit to end.

Repeat these two rows until the scarf is the right length or you are almost out of yarn. Cast off.

To put a kink in your scarf that will help it stay on your neck, here's my variation:

Angled Bias Scarf

Begin as for the Bias scarf, but only knit half the total desired length of your scarf. Me, I knit one balls worth of yarn. Then:

Row 1: Slip the first stitch purlways. Knit to end.
Row 2: Slip the first stitch purlways. K2tog. Knit to last stitch, M1, K1.

And that's it! By changing the rows you perform the increases and decreases on, you change the direction of the bias giving you an angle like this:


I just had a crazy, creative idea! What if you changed direction every 10 or 20 rows? Zig-zag! Could be a very funky scarf....

Another idea. Do the shaping every fourth row. This should decrease the slope by half. If I make any more garter-scarfs for Christmas, I may try one of these ideas out.

4 comments:

  1. I love your idea for a 'stay in place' bias scarf! That would make an awesome xmas gift...

    ReplyDelete
  2. make that wider and it could be a way-cool shawl....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:49 am

    Thank you for sharing this with us!
    JoAnn from Flickr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:18 pm

    I love the scarf! perfectly logical (and beautiful) to me, to stay put. I want to know more about the Quebecoise...in the book Folk Vests...the Clock vest (I *am* going to knit this up one of these days!) was made with it....so....what's it feel like? Curious knitter here wants to know. It's verra nicely priced I might add.

    ReplyDelete