Thursday, October 05, 2006

Socktoberfest Sock-inaire

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

I made my first pair of socks as a Christmas present for my father-in-law about 16 years ago.

I had this pattern in a very old book and I'd never seen anyone make hand knit socks before. They had an air of the 50s about them and I thought my father-in-law would appreciate them. He did. I thought that turning a heel was a very clever trick and I just learned to do it by following the pattern instructions exactly as written.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
See above. He's passed on and I have no idea what happened to the socks. My first pair using modern yarn was with Mexicana Socka and they've held up great! That was about 2 years ago.

What would you have done differently?
I used acrylic for my father-in-law's pair. Now I only use natural fibers, mainly wool.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Trekking XXL is one of my faves, along with Lorna's Laces. And solids. Any solid.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I always use DPNs. I know how to do magic loop and 2 circs, but I save those techniques for tight situations where I just don't have the right combination of needles on hand. Usually hats or sleeves.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I prefer flap heels and have been experimenting with putting the heel stitch or eye-of-the-partridge on the bottom as well as the flap. So far so good.
The only time I use short rows are for toe-ups. On my TODO list is to try Charlene Schurch's toe ups with heel flaps. Best of both worlds!

How many pairs have you made?
Yikes! A quick count in my head gives me 20 or more.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laurie! I am sure my Mom made that type of socks for my older brothers. Hours of knitting on what I am sure would have been pure wool - these socks would have been knit in the 40s and 50s!
    You commented on the poem in my blog - it was read at my poetry course and I thought of me when I had two teenagers. One time I went on strike - did not cook for one evening - we got take out pizza and the teenagers wanted me to go on strike from time to time. The poem sort of said it all about being a mom at times. There is a lot left unsaid, so that intrigues me!

    ReplyDelete