Thursday, December 13, 2007

Gifts and War

Well, I'm not off to a very good start. I've finished up the mystery knit and I'm afraid it just won't do. Oh it's a very nice thing of it's kind. Whatever kind of thing it is. But it's not the kind of thing I want it to be. Confused? I don't blame you. So is this knit.

It's a felted bag, and I intended it for Jim to use to store his D&D dice. But it's much too big. And I over felted it so you can't really see the texture of the cables. It's a good thing I used outline stitch on the sigils, or you wouldn't even be able to see them.

On the other hand, this bag is just about the right size to carry around a sock project. And the heavy felting would mean that your needles would stay in. Perhaps I can use it as a Christmas present anyway...

Because I need all the ammo I can get. Anne Hanson has signed up for the Knitting war, and she truly is a famous blogger. Plus she's getting other knitters in on the act. Here's a quote from her blog:
anyone who wants to join the benefactors to add $5 for every gift i finish can do so by going to the war blog and leaving a comment that says:
I’M IN for knitspot. my blog/email address is [your address].
please (and respectfully) don’t leave the comment here—they will not see it.
But if you feel you'd rather root for an underdog. A scrappy fighter who's determined to give it a go, even with the odds stacked against her, well then, you may just want to head on over to the war blog and leave a comment saying I'm in for Issues with Knitting! (don't forget to add your blog and e-mail).

As for my choice of charity, it's the United Way. I don't talk much about my charitable giving, because it's just the way I was raised, but I believe that charity begins at home. My donation comes off every paycheck I get from work.

Jim and I lived as the working poor for five years. We made do on one income during the time I was a stay at home mom. We did without and it was worth it for me to be home with my kids. But I know what it's like to live in a country of wealth and to have very little. I would try to remind myself that compared to many people in the world I had so much! A roof, food, and medical care. But every little bit extra was still welcome. Like a free preschool.

The United Way supports the preschool at Crouch Library. I took the kids there three times a week when I was a stay at home mom, and I found freinds, support and playmates for my boys there.

So here's the deal. If you leave a comment on the Knitting War blog saying you're in for Issues with Knitting, I will put your name in a draw for a yarn prize. I have some Sea Silk in the stash that I am willing to sacrifice for a good cause.

You see, I'm very blessed. I have plenty and I like to share. For example, I must shout out a big thank you to Doug the Soxophone Player for the gift he sent me in the mail.

I love all the lovely soft yarns, but my heart has been stolen by the purple tencel blend. I know Doug hand dyed it and it has the most gorgeous, subtle variations. Doesn't it just whisper "lace socks" in elegant tones? That brown sock yarn is going to be such a pleasure to knit. It's soft and the colors are rich and warm. Plus those girly, squishy skeins will keep me very warm I'm sure. I'll bet I could get a nice hat, mitt and neckwarmer set out of them.

That's enough for one blog post! I must return to my needles.....

3 comments:

  1. YER GOWIN DOWN LADEEEEEE!

    Ah, I love trash talk. Don't you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bag is really cute! It would make a good sock bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:17 pm

    Pssst, Hey Laurie,
    Someone said that Cheryl was in your knitting stash looking to sabotage you...........but remember, we're not trying to start anything or nuttin!!

    ReplyDelete