Wednesday, August 30, 2006

What's on the Needles

I'm actively working on three projects these days. One is the Funky Scarf project, which I can't show you because then I'd have to kill you.

Here's the progress on the sock I started last Monday. I'm not dedicated to knitting this. It's just what I work on when nothing else will suit. Sort of like twiddling my thumbs. I did knit on it in a traffic jam this morning. I wonder if anyone in the other cars ever looks over and thinks "WTF?" Or maybe they think "Lucky...."


So this is the love of my life right now. A vest for my father. Here is the outside.


Here is the inside. I brought it to Monday Knit night and the first thing Lynn and Darian did was turn it inside out. So I thought you might like to see too. Those strands are where I'm tying in new yarns. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do, but it's what I'm doing.

Here's the steek on the right side. The colors aren't true in this picture.

The pattern is from "Traditional Knitting from the Scottish and Irish Isles", edited by Debbie Bliss. For some reason the instructions are telling me to knit this flat. As if. I'd hate it if I did that. But when you pick up the button band, it actually tells you to pick up 2 stitches in and then sew down the selvedge. Sounds like a carry over from a steek to me!

So I'm not too worried about how messy or awful my steek looks. I'll pick up a couple of stitches in, cut and sew. Actually I am worried that I made my steek too wide and that I will some how run out of yarn because of it.

But I love working with the Jamieson and Smith yarn. I'm not sure what it is about it, because it's not the softest stuff. But it does make my knitting look beautiful. The resulting fabric is light, yet dense and has a lot of drape, considering.

3 comments:

  1. Rebel rebel - you are my mentor - I knit when stuck in one of the long train moments we get here in the Midwest when a 500 car line passes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:25 pm

    Today I knit while waiting in the doctor's office and then while waiting for a train to pass on the drive home. So much waiting and so much knitting I'm almost finished the sock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:58 pm

    The vest looks great. I like the sock color but I can't really see the sock well in that picture. It might be me though. Migraine.

    ReplyDelete