Thursday, March 29, 2007

On the Wierd Wired World of the Internet

Like some mad magpie, I've got an odd collection of bibs and bobs for you tonight that I've picked up in my travels around the 'net.

Crazy Aunt Purl asked people today what was the weirdest thing they had ever knit. I found two people who knit squid. Yeah, there's two of 'em and they are both different. There's a Archie the squid and, perfect to go with fish mittens, a squid hat! I tried Googling that and found a pattern for a baby-sized squid hat. Hmm, I guess there's more than two. How many could there be?

It boggles my mind. I know many people have bought the fish mittens pattern with the intention of wearing them, but I will confess I've never entertained the idea. I guess I think of them as kind of alive and I wouldn't want to torture the fish by gripping things. I know, that sounds weird.

Today, I found a baby fish in a puddle. I was walking by the river and there was a good sized puddle on the path. I saw a wriggle and when I investigated closer, it turned out to be a little fish. It probably got trapped there when the flood waters receded. So I picked it up and flung it into the river. Even with the waters going so swiftly, I figured it would have a better chance there than in the puddle.

I won a contest last week. Yep, I won some of Maia's handspun, which I know is good stuff. Maia wanted people to guess how many colors she used in a fair isle sweater she designed. What a beautiful sweater and it's 25 years old! I hope my knits will age as well. It was a fun contest and now I have the fun of looking forward to a present in the mail.

Not only that, but I finally broke down and bought some Schafer Anne from the Loopy Ewe. I've been wanting to try this yarn ever since I saw someone at the Knitting Club working with it. I'm looking forward to some mohair enhanced socks next winter.

Finally, I would like to direct you to a virtual tour of Spruce Haven Farm which is "A low-input pasture based sheep farm near Meaford, Ontario, Canada." I learned a lot reading this website and I thought you might enjoy it too.

5 comments:

  1. You've never worn your fish mittens?!?

    My entire workplace thinks I'm nuts. I have a mitten collection and wear a different pair each day of the week to work when it's cold. When I wear the fish mittens, I hold my arms out in front of me and move my hands so the fish look like they're swimming as I walk down the hall to my office humming the tune to "Jaws" ..... da dum da dum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for the link to Maia's sweater -- what a stunner! Congratulations on winning her handspun -- I'll bet it'll be gorgeous.

    I saw your comment on Crazy Aunt Purl's post, and I wouldn't call your fish "weird", (I'd call them fabulous), and it is very cool that your design is so unique and original. That's hard to do in knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many colors were in the fair isle? You saved a fish's life - good karma on ya! I have to think about what weird things I've knitted now.... I think I'm pretty tame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fish mittens! (I'd buy the pattern, but I'm on a really tight budget for now...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned a lot on the Spruce Haven Farm website. Not that I'm going to raise sheep now ... but I do love to threaten the DH with 'em perhaps showing up in our backyard. hehe

    ReplyDelete